Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GardenGal
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:07:43 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Just for fun, describe your last brick and motar QUILT SHOP visit.  

Feel free to give lots of details.. when.. where.. how was it.. what did you get... what did you want to get..

--
Eponine1984
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:59:42 PM(UTC)
Eponine1984

DH, Jimmy, and I stopped at a shop after visiting Quilt Fest in Lancaster the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. It's called Log Cabin Quilt Shop in Bird-in-Hand, PA. As a special for Quilt Fest, they had a pretzel cart out back where you could get a free soft pretzel hot out of the oven if you spent $10 or more.

Jimmy talked DH into getting him a whoopie pie for a "nack" (snack) while I shopped. Layer Cakes and Jelly Rolls were on sale for $28, so I got a jelly roll to make another version of my Starlite quilt. I picked up a few other odds and ends while Jimmy ran around the shop with DH hot on his heels. All the Mennonite girls that work there were very indulgent and called him "energetic" instead of naughty. (They did have cute little straw brooms that were just his size and he spent awhile sweeping their back porch, but then the whoopie pies called his name too loudly).

All in all, I got the fabric to make another Starlite quilt and an accent fabric for another quilt. I did share my soft pretzel with Jimmy and DH on our drive home.

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Dorian
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 3:24:52 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Yummy on the pretzel Heather! LOL to Jimmy sweeping, sounds like something my Isaiah would do.

There is a quilt shop in Chico, The Quilted Rabbit. It closed doors last summer (or Fall) and had a 3 day going out of business sale, with much of the store on half price. My dd and I were down in Chico (its an hours drive from my house) to go to the library and do shopping, so we stopped in the quilt store. I was just looking to see what I could find to bring home, wasn't after anything in particular. I found about 5 yrds of a pretty Maywood fabric that I love (I used it in last mystery quilt), so brought it home along with a few smaller cuts of things. My dd is not a quilter, but she loves fabric, so she had a nice time looking. The store will have a 3 day sale about once a month. Not in the main store, but in a smaller building in the back. But I haven't been able to get down there and do any more buying since then.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
Chelle
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:03:48 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I actually had to go back and loo through my blog... I haven't been in a quilt shop since the Iowa retreat in October!!  And boy what an adventure that was just to get to the shops.  We went to a few shops so I will share about two of them.

The first shop was run by a woman and her husband.  I'm pretty sure everyone was there except Kelly.  So from what I undersand usually they were closed at that time, but they opened just for us.  It was so sweet her husband was helping her record how much of each fabric everyone was getting.  He was a hoot (to me at least).  So it was a cozy one room shop with wool, fabric, kits etc.  I purchased some vintage fabric that called to me - I later sent them to GG as I didn't know what to do with them lol, I bought a reprod. kit along with backing fabric (and I actually made it!) and beautiful bright wools.  Everyone was offered a fat quarter lollipop and I have mine on my sewing table in my sewing notions holder.  I would definately go there again if I were in the area, very sweet people and loved what they had to offer.

The second shop I figure I will share about was well... lol I dont know hwere it was, but it was closer to the retreat than the others!  I was with Leah, GG and Donna.  Anyway, it was a bright shop with two big rooms and a small room.  The smaller room was where they had their clearance items.  As you walked in the front door you were in the first room. This is where the embroidery machines and such were and where we lost Leah LOL. They had a lot of bright fabrics and a wall of notions in the room.  In the second large room I saw the Christmas qult that I had to make.  I have yet to start it lol.  I bought the panel and some supportive fabrics to go with it, in fact I bought two panels so I could make one to sell maybe.  Anyway, if I remember correctly Donna found some patriotic fabric there and GG got the same panel I did...not sure what else she got as I was focused on that Christmas quilt LOL.  Leah sadly did not get to take a new machine home. The ladies were very friendly and I would visit them again if I were in the area.

I am grateful to Donna as she shipped my stuff home to me instead of having to try and get it all on the plane.

Now I have a gift certificate (may be another in the card I received in the mail yesterday) for my LQS so will need to see what they have that I can't live without :D

When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunsine.
Teatime
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 6:06:50 PM(UTC)
Teatime

Yesterday. Found a beautiful gold for my Quilt of Valor stash. Green for my Irish stash. I also found some outdoorsy fabric that I will use for a quilt for hubby. I have the fabric - now I have to figure out what to make. 

Marian
elliebell650
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:59:45 PM(UTC)
elliebell650

every Wednesday I go to my LQS for a friendship meet group it's lovely somedays we sit and stitch some days we just sit around and chat.
Yesterday I purchased my fabric for my next sewing class June1st so I was really happy most of the fabrics are from the Tilda range. Will send pic when class is done.
My local quilt store is called Patchwork Angel and is located at Forest Glen here on the Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia.
Marg
uspslady
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:08:52 PM(UTC)
uspslady

Since my LQS is closing up on June 15th, I spent Saturday there and spent a couple of hundred dollars on batiks.  Today I went back to take my February BOM in to give to the longarmer.  She moved to Colorado more than a year ago, but she comes by often and picks up whatever we have to be quilted.  She does an excellent job and even when the shop is gone, I think I will continue to send my large quilt tops to her.  But to keep this is what I bought, nothing yet today because I had to run and get my hubby to his VA appointment, but I left instructions for cutting about 13 or so fabrics for my next BOM.  They're all batiks and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

JudyT
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:10:32 AM(UTC)
JudyT

My last visit  was for some reproduction fat quarter bundles. But the major visit is coming up when my daughter and I pick out fabrics for her wedding quilt. King size. So her and I, along with my granddaughter and great grandbaby, will be shopping. I'm in the process of designing a pattern. Although when she comes by today she may have other ideas of what they want.

A few of you may remember the frustrating "Shrimp Boats are Coming" quilt I made for their boat several years ago when I SWORE I would never again do a quilt to order for them. But then they had to go and elope a couple weeks ago and they want a wedding quilt (they will pay for it to be send for long arm quilting and part of the fabrics).

Judy in the Pacific Northwest
quiltertess
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 5:18:47 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

Last quilt shop I was in was Klassy Kats in Memphis at the retreat in April.  I picked up some batiks for the Sea Glass swap.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
elliebell650
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 5:25:37 PM(UTC)
elliebell650

uspslady always so sad to see a local store close. Are the owners retiring. Sounds like you are getting some nice bargains well done.
Marg
Cosmocat12
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:48:11 PM(UTC)
Cosmocat12

Great thread! I am enjoying reading about everyone store visits.

I was at my local quilt store a few days ago. It's actually more like a small warehouse, not fancy at all, In fact until recently they just had the big roller door at the front entrance and no airconditioning. Finally they built in a front door and put in aircon. They have awesome prices and regular sales. I went there to get a yellow/gray moda fabric for a border. ($10 a meter). They had all their spotty fabric for $4 a meter - so I stocked up. These colours are perfect for kids quilts. I bought 2 meters of these colours. So that was 17 meters of fabric Embarassed, and it only cost $75!

Tracey
jw3280
#12 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 4:34:27 AM(UTC)
jw3280

When at Spring retreat, don't think that counts since you suppose to go to at least one quilt shop while at retreats, RIGHT?

Before that,had only been to one this year to get a small border for Kansas Trouble quilt and a binding for a bakit quilt.. 

Today, I'm going to Marshall Dry Goods, hope I can keep myself under control! Made a list of things I need to buy, hope I can find a panel I like to make a one block wonder quilt and the price is right!!

jean/tn
nothing better than sleeping under a quilt...
monalee
#13 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 7:36:06 AM(UTC)
monalee

Jean have fun! MDG is on my list to visit, I buy from them online, even poly batting.
My last visit I was taking a class on the Poppins bag and bought some fabric, a batik with cattle on it. The bag is a great one, it’s on my list of gifts to make for Xmas. It comes in three sizes.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed