Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
jcorsbie
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:17:17 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

KANSAS STARS

By Bonnie Hunter, Quiltville

The Quilt 

The pattern we are using is a free pattern offered through Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltville blog.  The name of the quilt/block is Jared Takes a Wife.  This is the link http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/jared-takes-wife.html  This is an intermediate block; be sure to take your time and measure each component to make sure the block is the correct size, square, orientation of components are turned correctly and no points have their heads chopped off. 

The Fabric

Fabric must be prewashed Kansas Troubles fabric.  The majority of your block must be Kansas Traoubles fabrics; however, if you have a single fabric that is sew, sew close in coloring, theme and style that is not a KT but it is impossible to discern it from a KT, it may be used.  If you are in doubt, post a picture for approval.

To Sign-up  

To sign-up, post below and send a PM to jcorsbie/jann.

The Block

This is a 12” block made up of several different components.  Follow the instructions on Bonnie’s blog at http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/jared-takes-wife.html for an easy and organized way of making your blocks.

Coloring will be as follows: (See attached PDF drawing at the end of the listing for color locations)

#1 – Any KT color different than used elsewhere

#2 & #3 – two different shades of the same color different than used elsewhere

#4 & #5 - two different shades of the same color different than used elsewhere

#6, #7, & #8 -  three different shades of the same color different than used elsewhere

#9 -  one shade of beige/tan/cream

#10, #11, #12 & #13 – different shades of beige/tan/cream  (Note: these can be repeated as long as they are not adjacent to the same piece

Each swapper makes a minimum of 6 baggies of 2 blocks each – for a total of 12 blocks; five baggies will be mailed and one will be kept by the swapper.  If there are more than 6 swappers, you may elect to make 2 blocks for each swapper (including yourself).  Label each baggie with your given name and QATW nickname. 

Deadlines  

Sign up by Sept 5 by posting below and sending a PM to jcorsbie.  Be sure to include your given name, QATW nickname, mailing and email addresses, and telephone number.

Mail on or before October 3 and include a self-addressed and self-stamped (SASE) envelope.

FYI:  If your package weighs less than 13 oz, it can be mailed First Class with tracking for less than the Priority Flat Rate.  If you choose to mail this way, we suggest a Tyvek envelope both for weight purposes and security of your package.  If you want to use the Flat Rate padded envelopes, I have plenty on hand, so no need to include one in your package.  You can pay for postage by PayPal, personal check, money order or stamps.

See you in the swap!  (I’m sew loving these blocks --- gorgeous colors).

File Attachment(s):
jc.pdf (861kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jann

"Without Elvis, there would be no Beatles" John Lennon
jcorsbie
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:17:33 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

xNO  SWAPPER  PM  CHECK-IN  REC'D  MAILED BACK 
01   jcorsbie/jann - hostess  x 9/16    
02   mimi/Jean  x 9/13  
03   stitchintime/Barb  x

9/15

04   tracyh/Tracy  x 9/13  
jann

Mimi
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:08:00 PM(UTC)
Mimi

I love the block and the fabrics and the time frame.   Please add me to the list. I think I'm gonna hafta make more than the 12... I need a bigger quilt...... 

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
jcorsbie
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:11:33 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: Mimi Go to Quoted Post

I love the block and the fabrics and the time frame.   Please add me to the list. I think I'm gonna hafta make more than the 12... I need a bigger quilt...... 

Me, too.  I will probably join twice.

jann

jcorsbie
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:53:04 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

This is a great swap and the blocks are fun to make.  All you Kansas Troubles' lovers -- time to join.

jann

stitchintime
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:42:45 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Originally Posted by: jcorsbie Go to Quoted Post

This is a great swap and the blocks are fun to make.  All you Kansas Troubles' lovers -- time to join.

They are fun to make, Jann.  Not a big lover of seaming 2" squares on the diagonal, but it is very interesting to see what block you come up with when you are obviously not paying close attention to what the pictures show.    On the positive side, my finished test block was a perfect 12 1/2 with beautiful points.  And I now know exactly where I need to pay closer attention.  Sending pm.

Barb
Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true
jcorsbie
#7 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 8:04:09 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

If you are in need of KT fabrics to join or just for fun, our friends at Delta Patchwork are having a sale, just announced today.  For those of you who are not familiar with Delta Patchwork, they are an online store located in Memphis, TN, home of Elvis Presley.  When attending retreat in Memphis,s they always let us come and visit and shop.  Their regular prices are already at least 10% or more off of everyone else, their free shipping has a lower min cost than almost anyone, they have terrific sales, and they carry many things that no one else does.  For example, they have the cutest little leather pulls for zippers on those purses you are making, the best true black fabric in the industry that never ever runs, and when you get your package in the mail it is wrapped so beautifully.  Besides the fact that Arlene and Toni are two of the nicest people.

And the current sale is 30% off everything and there is an entire page of KTs -- including 108" backing which I have never seen before.  Check it out here.

jann

tracyh
#8 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 9:17:29 AM(UTC)
tracyh

Signing up and sending Jann a pm!

Tracy

stitchintime
#9 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 10:07:40 AM(UTC)
stitchintime

Yay Tracy!

Barb
Mimi
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 7:33:29 AM(UTC)
Mimi

Glad to see you joining in Tracy!!

One question on the tan/beige/cream fabrics.  Should they be tone on tone or can there be some colors splashed in? Your sample seems to suggest just TOT.  

jcorsbie
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:13:15 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Glad to see you joining in Tracy!!

One question on the tan/beige/cream fabrics.  Should they be tone on tone or can there be some colors splashed in? Your sample seems to suggest just TOT.  

You can use both -- just not real "busy" tan/beige/cream fabrics. 

jann

tracyh
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:52:51 AM(UTC)
tracyh

Now to go for fabric - guess I will have to make a trip to Burkholders 

I love KT fabrics!

I am working on a quilt using this block - Jared takes a wife - our guild had Bonnie Hunter in to speak and teach a class and this was the block! Still working on the blocks

Tracy

tracyh
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:54:21 AM(UTC)
tracyh

Oh and Jann unrelated to this swap  I got the tickets to take my mom to the Elvis Lives show in February

Tracy

jcorsbie
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:02:32 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: tracyh Go to Quoted Post

Oh and Jann unrelated to this swap  I got the tickets to take my mom to the Elvis Lives show in February

Tracy

Cool -- it is supposed to be very well produced.  I hope it comes to Jacksonville or Orlando. 

jann

tracyh
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:08:14 PM(UTC)
tracyh

Is this swap still a go? Just checking!

Tracy

Mimi
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:06:05 PM(UTC)
Mimi

Wondering the same thing Tracy.  Inquiring minds want to know...

stitchintime
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:23:52 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Wondering the same thing Tracy.  Inquiring minds want to know...

Ditto that - didn't want to start the blocks until it was a sure thing

Barb
jcorsbie
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:31:23 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

I am willing to go with just the four of us, if you guys are.  Give me a vote of yes or no.  Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply.  Our power has been off and on for several days.  6 hours in the heat of the day, today.  G-ville lost 183 mature trees in the winds from the hurricane and they are playing havoc with the power lines.

jann

Mimi
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:52:40 PM(UTC)
Mimi

I'm willing to swap.  Should we increase the number of blocks to 3 for each person?  That would bring the total to 12.

Was there any damage to your property, Jann?  We kept waiting for the rain and all we got was lots of wind and clouds. We sure do need the rain. 

jcorsbie
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:26:00 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

I'm willing to swap.  Should we increase the number of blocks to 3 for each person?  That would bring the total to 12.

Was there any damage to your property, Jann?  We kept waiting for the rain and all we got was lots of wind and clouds. We sure do need the rain. 

3 blocks per person sounds good to me. 

Luckily all the damage we had was lots and lots of limbs on the ground.  We spend 3 days getting them all picked up.  We had winds up to 70 mph and horrible, hard rain for hours.  Our biggest fear was the pool over-flowing.  It did rain so hard that the drain holes in the patio could not keep up and the water was up to the threshold of the back door.  Fortunately, it didn't come into the house.  Our son, who lives about 2 miles from us lost power for two full days with no breaks.  Ours was off and on.  We were really lucky.

jann

Rss Feed  Atom Feed