Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chelle
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:48:52 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Ok, I know this probably sounds silly :) My husband is a HUGE Dr. Who fan, has been since the old days. Anyway, I found two paper piece patterns, one is the tardis one is a dialac (spelled wrong I am sure). I was trying to find some Dr. Who fabric for the borders as well as backing. I found curtains through UK websites, but it looks like those are half cotton half polyester... has anyone found Dr Who fabric anywhere?
Michelle
Flawed can be more perfect than perfection.
crzyquilter
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:07:16 AM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Hi Chelle,

What a fun project.  Personally I'd go ahead and use the cotton/poly sheets for parts of the quilt.  I do that sometimes when I really, really want a specific print in my own quilts.  Also, have you tried the search engines at Fabric.com or Ebay?  Good luck!

Deanne
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
mmyslvdrvr
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:33:21 AM(UTC)

I am a big Dr. Who fan too.  Have not seen any fabric.  Good luck on your quest and hope you post a pic when its done.

Chelle
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:36:34 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I didn't get into Dr. Who until recently but I really enjoy it, it's something DH and I can watch together :) We have a friend that is a HUGE fan and is going to the convention in February, he said last year he saw DH Who sheets and such there, so we will give him some cash and he will see what he can find for me. Silly DH thinks I want this for the bedroom... which, if I make it big enough is possible but not in the way he is thinking LOL.

I can at least start working on the blocks after the holidays are over :)
Michelle
Susan
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:01:53 PM(UTC)
Susan

What about gathering tee shirts and making a quilt from that?
Susan
Outside of Providence
Chelle
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:44:12 PM(UTC)
Chelle

that's a good idea, I figured I would do pieced blocks on the front and wanted the sheets for the border and backing, or just backing. I will have to keep the shirt idea in mind though :) Maybe for his friend :)
Michelle
Chelle
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:06:12 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I had found some older style dr. who curtains on Ebay, told DH about it and he bid. They were being shipped today :) So excited, now if I can keep him distracted long enough that he doesn't start asking about putting the curtains up... LOL then again I may make them and they may not be what I think they are and then they can be hung and I can just back my planned quilt with regular ol' fabric :)
Michelle
Chelle
#8 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 3:43:47 PM(UTC)
Chelle

It appears my curtains may have been lost :( Hopefully they arrive soon. The person who sold them has been very helpful and has already said they will go through the process with their mailing system so at some point I should get my money back if the package is lost.
Michelle
Chelle
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:58:49 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Woohoo the Dr Who curtains arrived yesterday :)
Michelle
crzyquilter
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:59:26 AM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Glad to hear the curtains finally arrived.  Now you can play. 

Deanne
Chelle
#11 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 4:08:05 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Ok, still trying to gather things for this quilt. I need some advise on colors, or the background color of the blocks and sashing/border. The tardis I plan to use different shades of blues and the daleks I figured greyish colors.

I really need help with this. I was thinking space like fabric for the sashing or borders (stars and such)... but the background on the paper pieced blocks has me stuck, should I have blue background for the daleks and grey for the tardis or use something else?

I am looking to you all for ideas and suggestions :) :)
Michelle
Landen
#12 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 5:19:06 PM(UTC)
Landen

black and gold maybe?

I can't wait to see what you do!

lynn

crzyquilter
#13 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 9:30:30 AM(UTC)
crzyquilter

How about a dark blue with small stars for the background?  It's hard to choose without seeing the focus fabric.  Just my 2-cents worth.  :O)

I just noticed that Featherduster has a few yards of a small star print in the Trading Post. 

Deanne
Chelle
#14 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 9:38:14 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Today when I drop DH off I am going to go enlarge the pattern. I can take a picture of the fabrics I have pulled from my stash to start with. I did talk to DH and I suppose I will need to have gold, grey, silver daleks, seems there were black ones in an episode as well... will have to research.
Michelle
Chelle
#15 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 11:34:34 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Ok, so here are fabrics I have pulled from my stash that I am thinking of using for this project.

http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=151&pid=11351

So a couple things.  The fabric in the bottom center I figured I could use for the window sections of the tardis.  The greys and yellow/golds on the left would be for the daleks, and two piles of blues/greyblues would be tardis.  The fabrics on the top center and right may work for background for something, I was thinking the fabric in the top right corner would look good as background for the daleks.  Now there isn't a lot of background for these blocks, they are mostly tardis and daleks.  I will likely have to buy more tardis fabrics.

So then... for border/sashing fabrics I was thinking of things like these links:

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-QT-21199-J I thought of this one because Dr. Who travels through TIME and space.

http://www.ethelbird.com/product.php?productid=18135&cat=0&page=1

http://www.ethelbird.com...524&cat=0&page=1

http://www.ethelbird.com...523&cat=0&page=1

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-novelty-conversational-quilt-fabrics-outer-space-stargazers-solar-system-midnight.aspx?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

I did get the patterns enlarged this morning, I may try to make a sample block, but am not sure if I will get to it today.

As always, I am open to any suggestions you all have.

Michelle
crzyquilter
#16 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 9:25:49 PM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Wow!  great choices.  I think I'd use all of the ones you put in links for, especially the outter space with the magenta nebula.  Your quilt is going to be out of this world, literally. 

PS - last night while perusing Netflix, I noticed they now have some of the first episodes of Dr. Who available. 

Deanne
Chelle
#17 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 9:33:45 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I hope to start on this project this week, unfortunately I can only work on it when he isn't home and first I have to make copies of my enlarged patterns :)

Michelle
Rss Feed  Atom Feed